Pages

Saturday, 1 October 2011

Foodie Day: Moist and Tender Chocolate Cake

Pick one: A chocolate cake?  Another chocolate cake? Or... chocolate cake? Moist and Tender Chocolate Cake!

Nestle Toll House's Moist and Tender Chocolate Cake

Last week, I looked through my random to do list, it noted "bake a cake by the end of this week". And wanting to narrow down the list of things that I should do,  I quickly visited my favourite food blogs for a cake recipe. Since it's my first time baking a cake all by myself, I decided to start off with the classic, renowned, well-loved dessert of all time, a chocolate cake.

But as the days of the week pass, anxiety flooded through me. Looking back to my baking history, I limited myself only to cupcakes, brownies, mini bars and cookies. I had never stepped inside the world of cakes. So with all the worriment and hesitation, I was thinking of not doing it after all for the meantime. I just had a feeling that I will mess up everything. Haha.

A good thing though, a friend of mine asked me"Can you bake a cake?", and taken aback because of this, I decided to take this as a challenge for myself. Plus it wouldn't bite hard to learn something new, right?

I absolutely love the rich, shiny frosting! 


Moist and Tender Chocolate Cake
Recipe by: NESTLÉ TOLL HOUSE
Source: www.verybestbaking.com

Ingredients

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2/3 cup NESTLÉ® TOLL HOUSE® Baking Cocoa
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) butter or margarine, softened
  • 1 3/4 cups granulated sugar
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 cup water
  • Chocolate Lover’s Frosting

Directions

1. PREHEAT oven to 350° F. Grease and flour two 9-inch-round baking pans or one 13 x 9-inch baking pan.

2. COMBINE flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in medium bowl. Beat butter, sugar and vanilla extract in large mixer bowl until creamy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Gradually beat in flour mixture alternately with water. Spread into prepared pan(s).

3. BAKE for 25 to 35 minutes or until wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean. Cool in pan(s) for 15 minutes; invert onto wire racks to cool completely.

4. FROST
with Chocolate Lover’s Frosting 

mixing the gooey chocolatey cake batter(left); cooling the chocolate cake fresh from the oven(right)
Instead of Nestle's, I actually used Hershey's Cocoa powder because Nestle Toll House is nowhere to be found here in Dubai (sorry Nestle!). I was actually worried if using another cocoa powder is fine, because I have no idea if the cocoa noted in the recipe is sweetened or unsweetened. So only relying with my guts, I went for unsweetened one, and phew! The batter came out fine.

Frosted the cake, added some garnish, and voila!
It was already quarter before 8 pm when the fun part came frosting the cake. Like a kid, I was really excited with all this decorating, but I'm already happy with this not-so-perfect frosting. And to add a little bit touch of my own, I just grated some chocolate I found in my room and sprinkled them around it.

Tasting came after dinner. The frosting was just perfect for me. I totally fell in love with it; it's luscious, melting, and has just the right taste of sweetness I was looking for. The cake didn't come as moist as I wanted it to be, but that didn't change anything. The cake was still tender, rich and oh-so-yummy. It really does give you the "chocolate cake" feeling. I was surprised this morning when I found out that half of the cake is already eaten. It usually takes us weeks to finish one whole cake we bought from bake shops, so I am truly glad that my family love it. 

Not bad for a first time, right? Happy October to everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave a pinch of your thought?