Pages

Sunday, 15 January 2012

Foodie Day: Chequered Biscuits

First baked goodies of the year! Chequered biscuits :)

I am totally aware that I am late by 15 days already but, Happy New Year, my dear readers!

Days sure passed quickly. I cannot believe that 2011 ended already, that was indeed a tough year for me, but nonetheless a blessed year too. People came and left right in front of my eyes; I laughed and cried a thousand of times; I grasped, learned and got inspired. From joining a youth church community music band, to enthusiastically stalking a person back on my home country, and to volunteering in Dubai International Film Festival.

I am really looking forward to this year (despite knowing that it will be full of massive exams). I am excited to experience a lot of new things, to meet a lot of people, to broaden my knowledge and notion, and to shape myself into a better human being. Sounds really promising, 2012!

And my new years resolution? To earn money for my studies! Pursuing culinary career in a prestigious school is, without a doubt, really pricey. So let the saving begin, and wait for me my dream school!


Chequered Biscuits
Adapted recipe by: Patricia
Originally adapted from the book "Cakes and Cookies" by Gina Steer

Ingredients:
  • 150 g of butter
  • 2/3 cup of icing/confectioners' sugar
  • 1/2 tsp of salt
  • 1 1/2 cup of plain flour
  • 2 tbsp of cocoa powder
  • 1 small white egg
Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 375°F, 10 minutes before baking. And lightly oil 3-4 baking sheets.

2. Cream the butter and sugar together until light and fluffy. Add salt, then gradually add the flour, make sure to beat well after each addition. Mix well to form a dough.

3. Divide the dough in half and knead the cocoa powder into one half. Wrap them separately in a clingfilm or food plastic wrapper and then leave to chill in refrigerator for 2 hours.

4. Cut each piece of dough into 4 portions. Roll and shape the portions into a long roll and arrange the rolls on top of each to other to attain the 4x4 chequeredboard design and seal them with egg white. Wrap them again in clingfilm and this time, chill them for about an hour.

5. After that, cut the dough into quarter thick slices, place them on the prepared baking sheets and bake them in a preheated oven for about 10-15 minutes.

6. Let them cool on the sheets after removing from over for few minutes, then transfer them into cooling rack and allow them to cool completely. Store them in an airtight container.

Notes: The original recipe makes a 6x2 design and for about 20 pieces, whilst on the other hand, I made 4x4 design and for about 45 pieces. Also, you can add more cocoa powder to attain your desired colour, but be careful not to add too much or else the taste might get bitter.

No copyright infringement intended.

1 comment:

  1. Ooooo that is so yummy!!! I will definitely try this out soon!!! I'm so glad to have found your blog. I really enjoy reading your blog posts. You are such an inspiration!!! If you have a chance, please visit/follow my fashion blog. Your supports will mean the world to me!!! Thank you so much in advance! Have a great day!!!

    ReplyDelete

Leave a pinch of your thought?